Who doesn’t love making waffles in the little waffle makers at weekend brunch buffets? Hello sugar and refined carbs. Finally, you can have your waffle and feel good about it too. Make this healthy weekend morning treat whenever your heart desires (it’s even good for those breakfast for dinner evenings). These waffles have a perfect balance of nutrients, vitamins, carbohydrates and protein. Adding some almond butter and/or peanut butter gives you some healthy fats to start your day.
First you will need a waffle maker if you want to make waffles. The Oster Dura Ceramic Infusion Belgian Waffle Maker is great with an awesome no stick surface, haven’t had the problem of the waffle being stuck to the top or pulling apart yet. If you don’t have a waffle maker, don’t worry. You can use the batter to make pancakes in a pan on the stove as well.
The ingriedients are simple.
I found most of mine at Whole Foods Market.
+ 1/2 cup – Old Fashioned Rolled Oats
+ 1/3 cup – Almond Milk Unsweetened Vanilla
+ 1/2 – Banana (save the other half for your toppings)
+ 3 tbsp. (1/2 serving) – Vega One All-In-One Shake
Protien Powder – Natural Flavor
+ 1 tsp. – Vanilla Extract
+ 1 – Egg
1 tsp. – Cinnamon
1/2 – Banana
1 Tbsp. – Peanut Butter
1 Tbsp. – Almond Butter (Any amount of a nut butter you love)
Pure Maple Syrup, Dark Chocolate Chips, Blueberries and Strawberries…
get creative with your toppings based on what flavors you want.
Make it Your Way
When it comes to the ingredients there are always personal substitutions based on preference and availability that can be made. If you have instant oats or oat flour or any kind of flour like coconut or almond, those will work too as part of your dry ingredients. The milk can be any type you like as well, skim milk or another nut or plant based milk that you love. For the protein powder you can use any type you have on hand such as a whey protein, a hemp protein, etc. Having a nice vanilla flavor always helps to add some delicious taste. I prefer the Vega Brand because it is plant based and gives a large dose of different fruits and vegetables. If your protein powder doesn’t have greens you can add a half cup of spinach to add some veggies to the mix if desired. So pick your ingredients as you wish. It’s simple: Oats, Dairy Free or Regular Milk, Banana, Protein Powder, Vanilla, and Egg.
- Get your waffle maker or pan heating and coat it with a vegetable oil spray.
- Use a blender (Magic Bullet or Nutri Ninja are great) and place your dry ingredients – oats and protein powder – in first. Then add your milk, egg, and banana.
- Blend it up for 30 seconds or until fully mixed and smooth.
- When your waffle maker or pan is fully heated place the batter in the center of the waffle maker or pan.
- Waffle Maker – shut the lid and wait for the light to go off. Cook a second time if you desire a crispy waffle. Pan – cook until bubbles form in the top of the batter, then flip and cook the other side.
- When the waffle or pancakes are done remove them from the waffle maker and place them on a plate.
- As they begin to cool, it’s time to start topping them. Slice up your banana or other fruit toppings. Add some nut butters, coconut oil, or maple syrup. Then sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Sit down and eat. Enjoy a treat and know you’re providing your body with quality nutrition.